20 Dec How to Prepare It Clown Costumes for the Christmas
Halloween night is one of the most famous parties in the world, known for the tradition of dressing up. Most of the costumes represent horror characters, among which the costumes of witches, zombies or characters from trendy horror movies prevail, such as the IT Clown, the movie based on the book written by Stephen King.
Are you scared of clowns? So they are the perfect costume for any event. If you want to dress up as the devilish clown but you don’t want to spend a lot of money or don’t have much time, we will tell you how to make the IT clown costume.
How to make a homemade IT clown costume
You may think that designing or making your own costume is quite complicated and expensive, but with enough creativity, you can do it and use a few materials in the process. If you want to know how to make a homemade Pennywise costume, you should first know that there are different versions that you can make of this clown, depending on the film adaptation you want to recreate. In this case, we have been guided by the latest Pennywise adaptation, but you can use similar materials to make the IT clown from the 1990 miniseries.
IT Clown Makeup
The clown makeup is the most important part to portray the character of Pennywise successfully. These are the materials you will need:
- White water-based paint
- Pencils of different colors for makeup
- Black profile
- Red lipstick
- The clown nose, you can paint it or make a homemade one with an anime ball and paint it red, you can also use a prop clown nose.
- Yellow lenses (optional)
Now, the steps to do the IT clown makeup are as follows:
- Apply the white paint all over your face and neck.
- With lipstick, draw the typical red clown mouth.
- Draw 2 lines of red vertically from the eyebrows, across the eyes, around the cheekbones and to the corners of the lips.
- Outline with a black pencil.
- Draw the clown eyebrows with a black pencil, making a very fine outline.
- Pennywise has yellow eyes, so if you manage to get some lenses of this color, it will give a very creepy touch to your costume.
How to dress up as the IT clown
Your costume cannot be complete without a good wardrobe. This is what you need to recreate this character:
- Silver-colored leggings
- Shiny silver fabric
- Red wig
- Red wool balls
- White socks
- Ballerina type shoes or flats
- Light Gray Tutu Ballerina Pleated Skirt
- Silver-colored long-sleeved jacket
- Red strips 1 meter long each
- Plastic soft drink bottles, minimum of 1-liter capacity
- 5 to 10 red balloons
- Toy teeth.
The steps you must follow to design the IT costume are as follows:
- Trim the leggings down to your knee.
- Put the white stockings up to your knees.
- You can paint the stockings to give it the feeling of having multiple reliefs, similar to school stockings.
- Put on your jacket and glue the balls that act as giant buttons.
- Put the pleated skirt around your neck. If the skirt is too long, cut it a bit.
- Take the strips of fabric and wrap them around your waist so they resemble a belt.
- If you decide to make the wide clown pants, use the silver fabric for them. This will require a bit of sewing knowledge to make the boot of the pants, which you can glue to the leggings with hot silicone, sew by hand or with a sewing machine.
- Use the ballerina shoes and bottles to create the clown shoes. Make a vertical cut down the middle of the bottle and separate it. In the middle, make an opening that you can put your foot through. Make a large ball of newspaper and glue it to the tip of the bottle.
- Line the rest of the bottle with newspaper and white glue. As it dries, paint the bottle white and red to make it resemble Pennywise’s shoes. Glue the bottle to the slippers and wear them.
- Make the wig with a white mesh that fits over the head or a cotton shirt. Glue strips of wool grouped 4 by 4 and shape them into the figure of Pennywise’s head. You can also buy the wig at a costume store.
- Get pointed teeth.
- If you don’t have the materials to make the shoes, you can use shoes that resemble clown shoes and are one size larger than yours.
How to make a homemade IT clown costume for women
There is a wide variety of IT costume models for women. Here we will explain how to make one with a skirt to make it look more feminine. For this you must use the following materials:
- T-shirt with vertical and finite gray stripes
- Silver sleeves
- Mini skirt with white pleats
- Shiny gray fabric about 30 cm wide and one and a half meters long
- Transparent black leggings
- Red Converse sneakers with white laces
- IT style wig or a red wig
- 3 balls of red wool to make the buttons
- Neck about 30cm wide, light beige pleated style
- Makeup consisting of white paint, red lipstick and black pencil
Now, the steps to make a homemade women’s IT costume are as follows:
- Put on the vertical gray striped shirt.
- Add the pleated collar and sleeves on the arms.
- Put on the miniskirt.
- Put on the black leggings and, with scissors, make holes of about 10 cm in diameter in different parts of the mesh.
- Make the belt with shiny gray fabric and glue one of the balls in the center of the belt.
- Put the other 2 balls on the shirt to make the buttons.
- Put on your red athletic shoes.
- Make panty-style shoulder pads out of the shiny gray fabric.
- Put on the wig and make two ponytails out of it for a more feminine touch to the Pennywise costume.
- For makeup, use white paint to cover the entire face.
- Make yourself the clown smile with the red lipstick and if you wish, you can outline it with a black pencil.
- Paint the edge of the eyes and eyebrows with a black pencil.
- Make the vertical stripes that go through your eyes with the red lipstick or pencil.
- Paint your clown nose with red lipstick.
- Use the balloons to give a feeling of friendship and innocence. It can be a single balloon or multiple balloons.
How to make a boy or girl IT clown costume
In this segment, we will explain how to make a boy or girl IT clown costume. For this you will need the following materials:
- White pleated collar about 30 cm wide.
- Gray blouse with a pleated style at the bottom.
- Gray baggy style sleeves.
- Gray cotton t-shirt.
- Gray shorts, wide enough to be baggy style.
- Cotton pants or jumpsuit.
- Lace for the sleeves and pleated style pants.
- Shiny black shoes that look puffy at the toe.
- Thin strips of red fabric to make the belt and to surround the area of the wrists and ankles where the lace goes.
IT wig. You can buy it or make it at home as explained in the previous sections.
- 5 balls of red color.
- A red balloon.
The steps to make the IT clown costume for a boy or girl are the following:
- Put the cotton pants on the child.
- Put the shorts over the pants.
- Dress him up with the shirt.
- Now, put the blouse, then the neck and last the shoulder pads, the lace for the sleeves and the ankles.
- Surround these laces with the red ribbon. You must glue them so they do not fall off.
- Place the 2 balls of red color on the blouse to make them look like buttons.
- Make the belt out of gray fabric and surround it with the red ribbon. Put the ball in the center of the belt.
- Put on the black shoes and place the red balls on the toe.
- Make up the child as described above and put the wig on him.
- Use a single red balloon to complement the costume. It is done!