11 Jan Common Electrical Safety Mistakes
Electrical safety is very important. The risk of an electrical fire or electric shock can be reduced through simple precautions.
Whether you’re in a home or business, your family, employees, clients, and visitors need to be safe when handling appliances. That’s why you need to make sure you’re using the correct outlets and other equipment to ensure your safety. Did you know that electrocution is the fourth cause of workplace fatalities?
One of the most common electrical safety mistakes people make is overloading their outlets. This can lead to a dangerous electrical fire. If in doubt, consult with an Electrician Cheltenham at a site like www.dpalmerelectrical.co.uk/electrician-near-me/electrician-cheltenham/
Incorrect wire connections can also cause electrical arcing. You can avoid this danger by using a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) outlet. A GFCI will automatically interrupt power to prevent a person from getting an electric shock.
Another common electrical safety mistake is leaving appliances plugged in when not in use. This is particularly dangerous if you are near water. Water is a poor conductor of electricity, so it can increase the risk of an electric shock.
Similarly, you should never touch a live or insulated power line. Instead, stay at least 10 feet away and use heavy duty extension cords.
If you have to touch an electrical appliance, make sure you dry your hands first. Wear rubber-soled shoes to reduce the chance of an electric shock.
Also, be careful when working around heaters and water heaters. You should also keep a safe distance from downed power lines.